Learn how to work in the Canadian public service developing an understanding of the Westminster model, and getting an overview of the structures, processes and players that you need to know.
Live online events
Wed 8 Dec
3 hours, 01:00 PM EST - 04:00 PM EST
- $390.00 incl. Tax
- If you work in or with the Government of Canada, How Government Works is a must-take half-day webinar. We will provide you with our “user guide” of how to work the Canadian government, and we will provide you with an overview of the structures, processes and players that you need to know.
- Join us as we set out the core constitutional and institutional foundations, and then move into how decisions are made across the system. We will consider not just how things are organized but why, and what that means for you and your work.
- You will learn about the Westminster model of government in Canada, including the roles and responsibilities of Parliament, the judiciary, Cabinet and ministers and how these elements work.
- You will learn about the role of the Prime Minister as the architect and chair of Cabinet and determiner of the machinery of government.
- You will cover the planning cycles and the decision-making processes of Cabinet and its committees like the Treasury Board.
- You will explore federalism and fiscal federalism in Canada
- You will learn about the role of central agencies and their ministers, including the Minister of Finance and President of the Treasury Board.