IOG's Customized Course for Senior Public Servants
Interested in attending? Have a suggestion about running this event near you?
Register your interest now
What you will learn
Senior public servants are often summoned to testify before a House of Commons or Senate committee. This is an essential part of the accountability role the executive branch of government must perform with Parliament. Our half-day customized training course is designed to give you and your colleagues a strong basis of preparation and confidence for testifying in front of a Parliamentary Committee.
- How Parliamentary committees work
- The roles of the committee chair, clerk, and both government and opposition MPs
- The accountability of ministers and public servants to Parliament
- The procedures and politics of committee appearances
- How to testify, what to say, and how best to say it
- Practical guidance and tips for a successful committee appearance
The IOG advantage
- You will be taught by former senior public servants who have actual committee testimony experience
- You will hear ‘how it really works’ from either a sitting government or opposition MP or a recently retired MP
- You will engage in an interactive mock-testimony session in a committee format with your colleagues
- You will watch an actual case study testimony, dissected for you to show the real-life dynamics of committee testimony.
Who should take this course
- ADMs, DGs, and senior EX-level public servants who may be called upon to testify before a Parliamentary committee as part of their responsibilities
- Parliamentary affairs units and officials involved in preparing departmental colleagues for committee appearances
- Communications officials who must prepare or respond to committee appearances by departmental colleagues.