Our one-year program – Public Sector Governance and Management in a Digital World – provides public sector leaders with the insights and tools they need to lead through this period of change and be successful in the transformed public service of the future. The program equips leaders with key insights and expertise at a critical time, both for the public service and in their own careers, and establishes a stronger foundation for our shared future. Our program marries the competencies of our graduates with the emerging needs of government organizations and a rapidly changing public service.
Click here for FAQ’s for cohort 14 of the Executive Leadership Program.
The program has been designed for promising executives at the EX-1 level or equivalent who are committed to public service excellence and who desire to continue improving their leadership skills and abilities. The program consists of three distinct modules:
- Meeting the Challenges of Public Leadership in a Digital World
- Evolving Public Sector Governance in a World of Resource Reduction
- Toward Better Public Sector Leadership: Responding to Change
We purposely limit our class size to enhance the quality of learning for participants. Classes are scheduled conveniently once a month during the evening and the following day to allow time for assigned work and opportunity to apply learning between sessions.
Case studies, action learning events, and ongoing coaching and mentoring are offered throughout the program. A week-long group study tour offers participants an opportunity to consolidate theoretical frameworks and applied learning off-site. The program also employs expert professionals in the application of self-assessment tools aimed at enhancing the personal leadership development of each individual.
Highlights of the program include:
- The former Clerk of the Privy Council, Jocelyne Bourgon, will share with participants practical lessons from her New Synthesis Initiative;
- A week-long group study tour to Nunavut where participants explore the governance and leadership challenges facing the territory;
- Interactions with senior officials;
- Expert assistance with 360 degree and self assessments to enhance individual self-knowledge and leadership;
- Coaching and mentoring; and
- Case studies and action learning with leading experts.
As a participant in the IOG Executive Leadership Program you will gain access to important insights and expertise and can expect to:
- Improve key leadership skills to improve resilience, to manage change and to use evidence-based decision-making for effective governance
- Benefit from state-of-the-art teaching methods, world-class thought leadership, and stimulating learning discussions across threads of change management and evidence-based decision-making
- Enjoy a rigorous ‘world-class’ learning program designed to fit your busy work schedule with conveniently spaced classes and activities
- Learn through a combination of classroom work, peer work, digital work, self-reflection, observation, practice and feedback
- Make use of ongoing coaching and mentoring
- Travel to a selected location as a group on an applied study tour
- Become part of the IOG Fellowship Program network and have exclusive access to a broad range of our services
Wayne Wouters, Former Clerk of the Privy Council (retired), said: “Congratulations to IOG on its Executive Leadership Program. We just don’t have enough of these. […] With huge attrition rates, we are moving a lot of people in the EX cadre and the more we can support these individuals to become executives early on, the better we will be.”
One participant wrote, “I found that ELP is uniquely designed to help participants develop the business acumen in strategy and leadership for success in today’s constantly changing environment. It was a privilege to have been part of this program. I would highly recommend this course for executives!”
Another wrote: “Through the learning modules, engagement with a number of experienced and dynamic speakers, continuous access to and advice from a former Deputy Minister, and through the sharing of the knowledge between colleagues, the IOG’s Executive Leadership Program offered a multidimensional perspective on current and trending topics that has undoubtedly helped advance my leadership skills.”
Graduates receive an IOG diploma in Public Sector Governance and Management in a Digital World upon completion of the program and are invited to attend ceremony to celebrate the occasion with senior public sector leaders.